The following information is from the webpage of the Lions Gate Buddhist Priory at Dragon Flower Mountain in Lytton, B.C.
Schedule of Ceremonies and Retreats for 2017 at Lions Gate Buddhist Priory
- Dates and times may change; we will keep you informed.
- Retreats and ceremonies will be held in Botanie Valley. If you plan to attend please contact us for details.
- There is no charge for any of the Priory’s activities. The Priory and its monastic community are entirely supported by monetary and material donations, all of which are received with gratitude. We put out our offering bowls with faith that our needs will be met.
- The Priory is a registered non-profit society, and donations made within Canada are eligible for a federal tax receipt. The Priory will be closed April 24 to May 1; and November 27 to December 4 in order to allow the monks time for monastic retreats.
- Retreats are open to all. Please let us know in advance if you are planning to attend.
- We will arrange meditation instruction in our tradition if you have not yet received it. People are welcome to attend all or any part of a retreat. It would be helpful if you could let us know of your plans in advance.
- Weekend retreats will start on Friday evening at 7:30 pm with Renewal of Vows, for those people who can make it, and end after a Sunday morning ceremony, except where noted. Many people find it convenient to arrive Saturday morning.
- Seven-day retreats start on Sunday at 7:30 pm with Renewal of Vows, and end on Sunday morning with a ceremony. Arrivals and departures can be accommodated at other times, but please let us know in advance.
- Our facilities are somewhat limited and primitive. It would be helpful (but not essential) if you could bring your own bedding and towels. Camping for tents, trailers, RVs etc is available.
- Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary, allergy, health or other issues that we should know about.
- We welcome any donations of food; please contact us before coming to see what’s needed.
Please note: Except where noted, ceremonies will take place in Botanie Valley. On Sundays, meditation will start at 10:00 am and is followed by the ceremony, approximately 10:30 am. Please contact us for details.
Lions Gate Buddhist Priory Schedule of Ceremonies and Retreats for 2017
April 2: Manjusri (Great Wisdom) Ceremony
April 16: Memorial Ceremony for Great Master Keizan (1268-1325)
May 21: Wesak (Buddha’s Enlightenment) Ceremony
July 2: Annual Kwan Yin (Great Compassion) Ceremony in Lytton
August 6: Kshtigharba (Children and Travellers) Ceremony
September 3: Segaki (Feeding of the Hungry Ghosts) Ceremony: At Segaki Lookout on the Priory Property
September 10: Memorial Ceremony for Great Master Dogen (1200 – 1253)
September 17: Avalokiteshwara (Great Compassion) Ceremony
October 8: Bodhidharma Ceremony
October 15: Bhaisajyaguru (Medicine Buddha) Ceremony
November 5: Memorial Ceremony for Great Master Jiyu (1926 – 1996)
November 12: Remembrance Day Ceremony
December 3: Buddha’s Enlightenment
December 31: New Year’s Eve Meditation Vigil and Ceremony (at the Priory)
May 14 – May 20: WESAK RETREAT (Buddha’s Enlightenment) (7 Days)
June 30 – July 1: CANADA DAY LONG WEEKEND RETREAT (3 Days)
August 4 – August 6: AUGUST LONG WEEKEND RETREAT (3 Days)
August 27 – September 3: SEGAKI RETREAT (Feeding of the Hungry Ghosts) (7 Days)
October 6 – 8: BODHIDHARMA RETREAT (3 Days)
November 3 – 5: GREAT MASTER JIYU RETREAT (3Days)
If you are interested in attending any retreat or ceremony, or in coming for a visit, please contact us. Our phone number is 250-455-0344; our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, go to the priory website: