The following information is from the webpage of the Lions Gate Buddhist Priory at Dragon Flower Mountain in Lytton, B.C.
Schedule of Ceremonies and Retreats for 2016 at Lions Gate Buddhist Priory
- Dates and times may change; we will keep you informed.
- Retreats and ceremonies will be held in Botanie Valley. If you plan to attend please contact us for details.
- There is no charge for any of the Priory’s activities. The Priory and its monastic community are entirely supported by monetary and material donations, all of which are received with gratitude. We put out our offering bowls with faith that our needs will be met.
- The Priory is a registered non-profit society, and donations made within Canada are eligible for a federal tax receipt. The Priory will be closed April 24 to May 1; and November 27 to December 4 in order to allow the monks time for monastic retreats.
- Retreats are open to all. Please let us know in advance if you are planning to attend.
- We will arrange meditation instruction in our tradition if you have not yet received it. People are welcome to attend all or any part of a retreat. It would be helpful if you could let us know of your plans in advance.
- Weekend retreats will start on Friday evening at 7:30 pm with Renewal of Vows, for those people who can make it, and end after a Sunday morning ceremony, except where noted. Many people find it convenient to arrive Saturday morning.
- Seven-day retreats start on Sunday at 7:30 pm with Renewal of Vows, and end on Sunday morning with a ceremony. Arrivals and departures can be accommodated at other times, but please let us know in advance.
- Our facilities are somewhat limited and primitive. It would be helpful (but not essential) if you could bring your own bedding and towels. Camping for tents, trailers, RVs etc is available.
- Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary, allergy, health or other issues that we should know about.
- We welcome any donations of food; please contact us before coming to see what’s needed.
- Wesak (Buddha’s Birth) Retreat (Week-long) Sunday, May 15 to Saturday, May 21
- Canada Day Weekend Retreat (Long weekend) Thursday, June 30 to Sunday, July 3 Note: This retreat starts on Thursday evening.
- Kshtigharba (Bodhisattva of children and travellers) Retreat (Long Weekend) Friday, July 29 to Sunday, July 31
- Segaki (Feeding of the Hungry Ghosts) Retreat (Week-long) Sunday, August 28 to Saturday, September 4
- Bodhidharma Retreat (Long Weekend) Friday, October 7 to Sunday October 9
- Rev. Master Jiyu Memorial Retreat Friday, November 4 to Sunday, November 6
Please note: Except where noted, ceremonies will take place in Botanie Valley. On Sundays, meditation will start at 10:00 am and is followed by the ceremony, approximately 10:30 am. Please contact us for details.
- Sunday, January 3: Maitreya (Future Buddha)
- Sunday, January 10: Seck Kim Seng (1913-1980), Rev. Master Jiyu’s Ordination Master
- Sunday, February 14: Buddha’s Death (Parinirvana)
- Sunday, February 21: Avalokiteshvara, Great Compassion
- Sunday, March 6: Samanthabhadra, Skillful Means
- Sunday, April 3: Manjusri, Great Wisdom
- Sunday, April 17: Keizan (1268-1325)
- Sunday, May 22: Buddha’s Birth (Wesak)
- Sunday, June 28: Annual Kwan Yin (Great Compassion) Ceremony Please note: This ceremony will take place in Lytton at the site of the Chinese Joss House next to the Rest Inn on Main Street. It will begin at 11:00 am.
- Sunday, July 31: Kshtigarbha, Children and Travellers
- Sunday, September 4: Segaki (Feeding of the Hungry Ghosts) Please note: This ceremony will take place at Segaki Lookout on the grounds of the Priory. It will begin at 11:00 am.
- Sunday, September 11: Dogen (1200-1253)
- Sunday, September 18: Avalokiteshvara, Great Compassion
- Sunday, September 25: Buddha of Healing (Bhaisajyaguru)
- Sunday, October 9: Bodhidharma Sunday,October 30: Founder’s Day
- Sunday, November 6: Rev. Master Jiyu (1924-1996)
- Friday, November 11: Remembrance Day
- Sunday, December 4: Buddha’s Enlightenment Saturday, December 31: New Year’s Eve Meditation and Ceremony
If you are interested in attending any retreat or ceremony, or in coming for a visit, please contact us. Our phone number is 250-455-0344; our email address is email@example.com.
For more information, go to the priory website: